PRIMAL PLANET (INTERVIEW)





 1. TELL US ABOUT WHEN YOU STARTED YOUR LOVE FOR VIDEO GAMES?

My love for video games started when my dad got our family a Nintendo
Famicom for xmas in the late 80s when I was about 5 or something, but
I've been a game designer since I can remember. As a little kid, I often
forced my family and friends to try out my latest creation, whether it
was a choose-your-own-adventure book, a board game, or some kind of
tabletop rpg with legos representing the world and characters.

2. HOW DID YOU GET INTO GAME DEVELOPMENT?
In 2005, when I discovered a website called Newgrounds and a now extinct
program called Flash, I got hooked on designing video games. I learned
Flash from reading/watching tutorials online, and started making games
for fun. Around 2007, I entered a Halloween contest held by Armor Games
with my game Swept To The End. I got third place, and since then, Armor
Games has been my primary sponsor for developing Flash games up until
2014 (when the demise of Flash was already happening).

3. WHAT WAS THE GAMES YOU DEVELOPED BEFORE THE ONE YOU ARE MAKING NOW?
Between 2007 to 2016, I published over 20 professional Flash games. The
Earth Taken series and the Hobo series are my most popular games. From
2016 until 2019, I worked tirelessly on a massive Flash game called
Enter The Flesh Again, but I ultimately had to cancel it and by that
time I was suffering from a major burnout and depression. I have since
recovered, mostly.



4. WHAT WAS THE IDEA BEHIND THE NAME OF YOUR STUDIO SEETHINGSWARM?
I simply wanted to come up with a name that is original and sounds cool.
There is no deeper meaning to the name than it just being a name, but I
do like that you can see it as Seething Swarm and See Things Warm.

5. WHAT WAS THE INSPIRATION BEHIND THE NAME OF PRIMAL PLANET?
I wanted the name to be simple, memorable, catchy and original enough,
while also describing what the game might be like. Admittedly, there are
way too many games with the word "Primal" in it, and I initially wanted
to call the game Primeval, but there are just too many products with
that title out there. I can't find anything called Primal Planet, and I
like it, so I decided to go with that.

6. WHAT ENGINE ARE YOU USING FOR THIS GAME AND WHY?
Godot. It's free, open source, lightweight, powerful, does exactly what
I need it to do and it's fun to use. I also feel like it will just keep
getting better and more popular as time goes by.

7. WHERE DOES PRIMAL PLANET TAKE PLACE?
Primal Planet takes place in a fictional world where humans, dinosaurs
and other prehistoric creatures co-exist.

8. WHO IS THE MAIN PROTAGONIST IN THE GAME?
The main protagonist is a cave-dwelling father who risks everything to
save his daughter from an alien abduction.

9. WE ARE HUGE METROIDVANIA FANS OF THIS GAME SO TELL US ABOUT SOME OF
THE ABILITIES YOU CAN OBTAIN IN THE GAME?
Primal Planet is a metroidvania with RPG elements. You will gain xp from
various actions. You can unlock/upgrade your basic skills like health,
speed, the amount of time you can hold your breath underwater, the
amount of resources you can carry, the amount of damage you do,
double-jump, dash and so on. Other things, like certain crafting recipes
and using alien tech will work much more like a traditional Metroidvania
where they help you unlock certain things to progress through the game.

10. WHAT TYPE OF ENEMIES ARE WE FACING INTO THIS GAME?
You will defend yourself from prehistoric predators and fight
cannibalistic tribes and technologically-advanced aliens. The
prehistoric creatures in this game will mostly be dinosaurs, but there
will be creatures from all over history, on land, in the air, and in
water.

11. TELL US ABOUT THE AREAS WE CAN EXPLORE IN THE GAME?
There will be many different biomes in Primal Planet. Forests, jungles,
caves, mountains, open plains, swamps and the deep ocean for example.

12. ARE THERE FUTURE PLANS FOR DLC ON PRIMAL PLANET?
I would love to expand on Primal Planet once the full game has been
released. There are so many directions this game can go in, and
different game modes as well. I could always add even more dinosaurs and
biomes to the game, but right now there are no fixed plans. It's better
to first just focus on getting the main game done correctly, and getting
it released.

13. WHY SHOULD PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY PRIMAL PLANET DAY ONE?
If you like Metroidvanias, Dinosaurs and Pixel-art, this is the game for
you.

14. WHEN WILL PRIMAL PLANET RELEASE AND WHAT PLATFORMS YOU PLAN ON
RELEASING IT ON?

There is no release date, but hopefully within the next 2 years. The
plan is to release Primal Planet on as many platforms as possible,
including PC, Xbox, PS and Switch.

15. WHERE CAN THEY FIND YOU ON SOCIAL MEDIA?
⌨️ Discord: https://discord.gg/kcJ8Vddcjt
🕸️ Website: https://seethingswarm.net/
🐦 Twitter: https://twitter.com/SeethingSwarm
🥶 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/seethingswarm
📷 Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/seethingswarm/
🎥 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBBM3CvwbcLuwQKgxDd8uSg
🕹️ Itch: https://seethingswarm.itch.io/
🎮 Newgrounds: https://seethingswarm.newgrounds.com/

🦕Primal Planet Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThePrimalPlanet



No comments