Xibalba: Interview

 



1. WHAT WAS THE FIRST GAME THAT YOU PLAYED THAT MADE YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH GAMING?

I would have to say Banjo Kazooie for the Nintendo 64. I have a ton of nostalgic memories of that game and it still holds a very special place in my heart.

2. HOW DID YOU GET INTO GAME DEVELOPMENT?

I first got into Level Design back when Far Cry 3 came out. Over time I began to take level design more serious and started to really put my all into each level, gaining more and more experience over time.


3. ARE YOU A SOLO OR HAVE YOUR OWN STUDIO?

I am an independent level designer. Would love to work in games someday though!



4. WHERE DID THE IDEA OF THE NAME XIBALBA COME FROM?

The name of the level "Xibalba" comes from the Mayans interpretation of the underworld. It is also referred to as the "Place of Death".


5. WHAT ENGINE ARE YOU USING FOR THIS GAME?

This level is being created in the Far Cry 5 Arcade Editor using the console version of the Dunia Engine on Playstation 4.


6. SO HOW WILL THIS LEVEL BE DIFFERENT FROM OTHER ASSETS FROM FAR CRY?

 Although this level uses assets from various different Far Cry and Assassin Creed games, they've never been used in such a way as this. Or, at least I've certainly never played a Far Cry or AC game quite like this before!



7. WHO IS THE MAIN PROTAGONIST OF THE GAME?

The player assumes the role of either Otus or Bubo, they will act as guardians of Xibalba. Both names are Binomial nomenclature for different Owl species, which in Mayan belief are said to know of the entrance into Xibalba. 

In this level the player will be tasked with ridding Xibalba of humans that have entered the underworld that do not belong, which in this level is a group of soldiers the player will come across starting at the abandoned village.


8. ARE YOU ADDING YOUR OWN STYLE TO THE WEAPONS OR KEEPING IT SIMPLE?

The weapons the player will use will be specific weapon loadouts featuring different types of weapons between the two protagonists.


9. WILL THERE BE SOME RPG ELEMENTS IN THE GAME?

 I'm going for more of a horror/action based exploration theme for this level. There is, sadly a limit after all of how 
in-depth I'm capable of going within the editor.



10. WILL YOU TURN THIS INTO A FULL-FLEDGE GAME IN  THE FUTURE?

I mean, I'd love to turn this into a game someday, but, games cost a LOT of money, time and resources to make. You need a whole team and much, much more than that to turn a level into a full-fledged game let alone make one. But I'd honestly love to if ever given the opportunity!


11. WHY SHOULD PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY THIS LEVEL?

I think if you're a fan of horror games or levels or just like exploring creepy environments then you should have a fun time playing this. There's a lot of love and attention to detail being put into this that I think people might really appreciate.


12. WHEN WILL IT BE RELEASED?

While I don't have a solid release date on this level yet, it is in the polishing final stage, so, I'd say fairly soon! I think I can comfortably say that "Xibalba" will be published and playable around mid to end July!


13. WHAT PLATFORMS WILL IT BE ON?

"Xibalba" will be playable on Playstation 4 in the Far Cry 5 Arcade Editor as soon as it is published!


14. WHERE CAN THEY FIND YOU ON SOCIAL MEDIA?

People can find me on my Twitter, @CobTheCreator ! Feel free to follow me if you're a fan of level design as I frequently post updates on whatever it is that I'm working on, from start to publish.




No comments