THE WINGS OF BLUESTAR: Interview

 




1. WHAT WAS THE FIRST GAME THAT YOU'VE PLAYED THAT MADE YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH GAMING?


It's hard to answer since I started gaming at an early age. But if I have to remember, I would say River Raid on the Atari 2600 was one of my first games. After that, I have vivid memories of Ninja Turtles on the original Gameboy.

2. HOW DID YOU GET INTO VIDEO GAME DEVELOPMENT?

I always had a wish to make my own games, even before having any idea how games were done, I was sketching stages and characters when I was a kid. Later, and since I have a few friends who are into gamedev, it was easy for me to get the basics of coding from them and then continue learning on my own.

3. WHAT MADE YOU OPEN UP YOUR OWN STUDIO?

I tried to work as a team member in a local studio made of 3 people, but it didn't work out due to different ideologies. And as a creative person, I always wanted my visions to fully come to life, and since I can do 80% of game dev myself, I just decided to be my own one man army. I still need help with music though, that's why I have Big Impact Sound as my composer.



4. WHAT IS THE CONCEPT BEHIND THE WINGS OF BLUESTAR?

The decision for my first commercial game to be a shmup was mostly due to my love for the genre. A big chunk of my past unfinished projects were also shmups. Add to this the fact that shmups are relatively easier to develop than other genres, I didn't want to start something above my coding skills.

5. HOW MANY LEVELS ARE IN THE GAME?

The game has 8 levels, plus some extra hidden content. 

6. WHAT IS THE DIFFICULTY STATUS IN THE GAME?

The game has 4 levels of difficulty, easy, normal, hard and super hard. I've got a lot of feedback from players, which helped me tune the difficulty and make it more progressive and accessible.

7. WHAT IS THE ENGINE BEHIND USING THIS GAME?

The game was made in Gamemaker Studio 1.4, then after a few months of release, it was upgraded to Gamemaker Studio 2 due to issues with Windows 10.




8.  DOES THE WINGS OF BLUESTAR HAVE MULTIPLAYER?

Yes, it has two player local multiplayer.

9. WILL IT HAVE DLC IN THE FUTURE?

I'm planning to add some extra content, something like a free digital artbook and more important, an extra gameplay mode. But this needs some time since I'm also working on my new project.

10. ARE THERE ANY PLANS FOR A SEQUEL FOR THIS  GAME IN THE FUTURE?

Right now, not directly, I want to try another genre. My new project is a platformer that shares the same universe as Wings Of Bluestar.

11. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR FUTURE TITLES?

Right now I'm working on a new project. It's a platformer with rpg and metrovania elements. It also shares the same universe as Wings Of Bluestar.

12.  WHY SHOULD PEOPLE BUY THIS GAME?

To answer this question, I'd rather say what fans of the genre think about it; the quote that I like the most is how they say that it's a work of heart, which is very true. The game also is described as a solid arcade title that's true to the classics. Another good aspect of the game is the deep story mode and the size of content the game offers.




13. WHERE CAN THEY FIND THIS GAME AND WHAT PLATFORMS IS IT ON?

The game has been on Steam for a while now. Also Easteasiasoft are working on console ports, digital for all actual consoles and physical for the Switch and PS2. The release is planned for late/summer 2022.

14. WHERE CAN THEY FIND YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA?

I'm mostly active on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShinuGames
There's also a small community on Discord: https://discord.gg/kcdpd9m

I have a Facebook page as well, which more about my general creative stuff, including art as well: https://web.facebook.com/ShinuRealArts/?_rdc=1&_rdr


















No comments