LATEST INTEL
/// SYSTEM ONLINE /// /// THEGAMERSECTION BROADCAST ///

TheGamerSection

FROGGLE Developer Interview: Building the Ultimate Frog-Powered Roguelite




FROGGLE is a charming yet deceptively deep roguelite that blends strategic dungeon crawling, powerful build crafting, and a healthy dose of amphibian-inspired chaos. Drawing inspiration from genre favorites like Slay the Spire, Balatro, and Inscryption, the game invites players to guide Tapo the Tadpole through an adventure filled with unique sigils, game-changing d20 rolls, hidden encounters, memorable characters, and plenty of opportunities to become delightfully overpowered. We sat down with the developer behind FROGGLE to discuss the game's inspirations, progression systems, music, secrets, and what makes this froggy adventure stand out in the crowded roguelite pond.


FROGGLE draws inspiration from Slay the Spire, Balatro, and Inscryption. What specific mechanics from those games influenced your design, and how did you make them feel uniquely "froggy"?

Answer:
Inscryption's sigils, and the unique way you can combo them to make very OP cards, was my initial inspiration. I also have a late-game that feels a lot like Kaycee's Mod. Balatro has lots of fun little discoveries, like Gros Michel into Cavendish, so I built a lot of rewarding tidbits like that in the game. Plus, nothing feels more 'delightfully breakable' than getting your first 'e' in Balatro, and I try to bring some of that same "I AM GOD NOW" magic into FROGGLE. And then Slay the Spire is the gold standard for turn-based dungeon crawlers. The overall structure of the game, featuring combats and '?' encounters was very central to FROGGLE's development, and I drew a lot of inspiration from StS's learning curve "I limped through Act 1' to 'I just beat Act 3 without taking a hit".


The tagline "Live. Die. Ribbit." perfectly captures the roguelite experience. What was your vision for balancing challenge, progression, and player empowerment?

Answer:
I think the best roguelike/roguelite movie we've gotten is Tom Cruise's The Edge of Tomorrow, and the catchy "Live. Die. Repeat" from that film totally captures the essence of whatever us roguelike gamers enjoy about losing. One of my favorite development choices is having FROGGLE's level-ups scale per the Fibonacci sequence until 100, then increase by 100. Those first 3 upgrades only cost 4 (1+1+2) XP, allowing you to get a build going after just one combat!


Tapo's first birthday is at the heart of the story. How did this adorable premise come about, and why did you choose a tadpole as the game's central character?

Answer:
The Looney Tunes baby who is always crawling around the construction site and miraculously alive is Tapo's spiritual ancestor. But you shouldn't underestimate the little guy or his voracious appetite for yummy flies! I envision him as sort of a "community baby", and all of Ribbleton chips in to help raise the youngster. When he's in trouble, we'll drop everything to help Tapo the Tadpole!!


Players can earn XP for run-based upgrades while also purchasing permanent upgrades between runs. How did you approach balancing short-term and long-term progression systems?

Answer:
In FROGGLE, I want the next thing, whatever it is, to be exciting. When alive, you're excited to die to get upgrades. When you're dead, you are eager to start a new run so you can tweak your strategy. By the time you're powerful enough to breeze through standard mode, don't you worry - FROGGED UP mode will put you back in your place, where enemies have 3x stats (but give 3x gold!)


The game features 10 unique sigils with unlimited combo potential. What's the most surprising or creative combination you've seen players discover?

Answer:
I had one playtester say to me "Why would anyone ever NOT immediately max out the Star Sigil? It's free XP!!!" And then, a day later, my very next playtester completed Standard mode without touching Star. Haha! In general, there are a few basic strategies that make obvious sense, but you'll find some of the advanced and passive sigils sparking joy when you figure out how they combine at higher levels.


The D20 mechanic can completely change the outcome of a battle. How did you decide on incorporating tabletop-style randomness into a tactical roguelite?

Answer:
FROGGLE was originally designed as more of a TTRPG Game Master tool that allowed for an alternate style of combat, combining Inscryption-style sigils with classic TTRPG d20 rolls. From the beginning, the element of chaos was baked right in. The first d20 action (or Gambit, as we say in FROGGLE) added to the game was Recruit, to instantly turn a foe to the player's side. The other Gambits fell in behind that one. But in short, the d20 action exists because I think the player should ALWAYS have a way to win, even if the odds are against them. Luck is real! (maybe)


Each of the four Frogventurers fills a distinct role. Can you talk about the design philosophy behind the Warrior, Tank, Mage, and Healer classes?

Answer:
I wanted these to be familiar archetypes. FROGGLE throws a lot at you quick - the combat is simple on its face, but rapidly gets complicated, so I wanted there to be an easy touchstone for the players to at least start building their strategy around. Every hero starts with the d20 sigil by default; other than that, they all have their own strengths. Warrior is strong, Tank is durable, Mage can target multiple enemies, and Healer can heal multiple heroes. But between XP, Gold, and Figurine upgrades, you can very quickly turn your healer into your powerhouse, or your mage into your support!


Without spoiling too much, what can you tell us about the mysterious fifth hero and the process of designing a secret unlockable character?

Answer:
You'll be delighted to see the fifth hero. It was a no-brainer; the player deserves a reward for clearing FROGGED UP mode, and if you can clear THAT mode with the secret character? There's another double secret super hard mode still to play!


You describe the game as "weirdly empowering" and "delightfully breakable." How important was it to allow players to discover overpowered builds and unexpected strategies?

Answer:
Oh, that's the whole game. Almost everyone who's played the game has had a "WHAT?! that can't be right..." moment as they landed more hits than they planned. But then they walk back the math and see that they really did get 9 actions that turn. Balatro and Inscryption scratch that itch; I tried to take that feeling and bake it into the game starting from the very first level-up.


The hidden second stages for encounters encourage experimentation and replayability. What inspired this system, and what do you hope players feel when they uncover one?

Answer:
In Hand of Fate 2, there are certain cards where some cards have unlockable platinum or a brimstone cards. These cards POP (here's a link to a few of them) and I wanted something similar when the player solves a small puzzle or gets a lucky enough roll. Each encounter has an entire second commissioned art piece locked behind its Stage 2 door. You'll know when you reached a Stage 2 - it'll have a striking platinum filigree design.


After beating Standard Mode, players unlock FROGGED UP Mode. How does this mode change the experience, and what kind of player is it designed for?

Answer:
Did you stop playing Balatro when you won for the first time? Or did you play all the way to Gold stake? I know what I did, and FROGGLE is for people like me. FROGGED UP mode is actually not even the hardest mode in the game; though enemies are brutally difficult (3x stats), even more awaits if you can complete FROGGED UP (or, lovingly, FU) mode.


Every combat and encounter features its own custom funky froggy beat. How did music contribute to the game's identity and atmosphere?

Answer:
This was honestly my favorite part of making the game. Each combat features some recognizable riffs, but the tempo increases as you get deeper into the dungeon. Each combat has its own signature sound and instruments! Even more fun, the neutral encounters each have their own soundtrack, with a special modified version to go with the "platinumified" Stage 2 encounter. There are a total of 33 different songs in this little game; I was heavily inspired by Eric Barone ans Stardew Valley to make music that really matched the feel of the game at every step.


The game is packed with references to famous frogs from pop culture. Which reference was your favorite to include, and are there any particularly obscure ones players should keep an eye out for?

Answer:
Oh boy. Well Frogger has to be included, of course. Other than that, here are my top 4: Frogs in the chat / Hello my ragtime gaaal / Smacks the Frog, please don't /Classic green, you just know he's a jumper. (DNVR / Looney Tunes / Hey Riddle Riddle / The Good Place). If I'm missing a key frog tell me, I'll hop right on it.


Looking back on development, what has been the most rewarding part of seeing players interact with FROGGLE, and what excites you most about the game's future?

Answer:
I honestly can't believe it's real. I've been a gamer since I could hold a controller and this is just a dream come true for me, to have a game of my own. I enjoy when people think Tapo is cute - that was my main hook to get people to click on the game, and @harimoon did a great job of bringing Tapo to life. I enjoy when people comment on the music, because I think that is one of the better elements of the game. But more than anything, when players express that "I've just gotta do one more run, I know what to do now!", my heart just soars, because that's what makes a roguelite different than any other game. It's my favorite genre, I've played more of them than I can count, and I tried to make a fun, tidy little adventure that I would enjoy. So seeing other people enjoy is it just froggin amazing.

SHARE INTEL: